Sunday, May 27, 2012

"Fire" - The Rev. Dr. Kurt Gerhard, May 27, 2012 (Pentecost)



It happened on a Christmas Eve many years ago. I was a shepherd in the annual Christmas pageant. Bear with me, I will get around to Pentecost, soon. I was eight years old. Back then; I was a well-behaved, quiet and shy child. I was known for being the “good” kid, the one with a smile and willingness to follow directions. So, not much has changed. As a shepherd, I had a very easy role. I was to walk up to the front of the church carrying a taper candle, wearing a turban, carrying a shepherd’s crook, to kneel on the step next to the altar. The other characters in the Christmas tableau would continue to join the scene until the entire Christmas story was told. As I look back, I have no idea why the shepherds arrived so early in the story, but we did. The older kids and some adults retold the story as each character made their way to their spot. Songs were sung, people were happy, life was good: it was the quintessential Christian scene of Americana.

Now, as I said, I was a good kid and I knew how important it was to stay focused on playing the role assigned to me. The last thing I wanted was to be pointed out as the troublemaker. But my friend, Brendan Clark, was not as concerned as I was with being in character. Brendan lived on the margin of trouble, it was what made him endearing. He was funny and enjoyed having a good time (even at the age of 8). You have met this person. You may even be this person. We were the two shepherds. We walked up the aisle of the church, got to our spots, and knelt down on the step.


All the time, Brendan was whispering under his breath. I don’t’ remember what he was saying; it was something he was dreaming about, something that caught his attention and made him laugh. And he wanted to share that with me. He wanted me to laugh, too.

I was an easy target. Normally an askance look would get me to laugh, but not on that day. I was not going to lose my attention. I wasn’t going to look at him. I ignored what he was saying to me so that I could stay in character, a shepherd, kneeling in front of a crowd of people in the midst of the annual Christmas pageant.

Then I noticed a choir member jump up from his seat, leap the over the chancel rail and run toward us. “It must be Brendan,” I said to myself. It happened very fast and I remember thinking “Focus on being a shepherd, don’t look to the side, just stay in character.” That is until the leaping and running choir member grabbed my turban, threw it to the ground, and stomped on it.

I didn’t have any idea why he did what he did, but he scared me to death. I actually lost my focus and turned (that was how I was able to report what happened). Why would he grab my turban and attempt to distract me from my role, right in the middle of the only performance. I was so embarrassed. It wasn’t until later that I discovered that choir member was actually a superhero of sorts. Brendan had been talking to me, laughing, whispering under his breath all in an attempt to get an acknowledgement from me. Each time, he would turn slightly to his left, toward me. During one of his turns, the flame of his taper candle ignited my old cloth turban. The fire spread quickly up my turban and toward my head. Thankfully, that choir member saw what was happening. I certainly didn’t because I wasn’t glancing backward or even sideways; I was looking forward with every ounce of concentration staying focused on being a shepherd. When he grabbed that turban and threw it to the ground, he saved my life, or at least my hair.

Now, it isn’t Christmas. It is Pentecost, the 2nd most important feast day of the Christian year (following Easter). It doesn’t get very much attention in comparison to Easter and certainly Christmas, but it is very significant. This year, it falls on Memorial Day weekend. It does that every couple of years.

Pentecost is often lost in the shuffle toward summer, but it is the day that we celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit to the disciples after Jesus’ ascension into heaven. We often imagine the Holy Spirit as the descending dove (like at Jesus’ baptism) that brings peace and tranquility, a connection between people far and wide, rich and poor, black and white. That is not the way it is described in the Acts of the Apostles. There it is described as a sudden, violent, wind that results in tongues of fire resting on each of the disciples. That is why I remember that Christmas pageant story, so many years ago, on this day, because it is the only time in my life that fire has rested upon me, literally that is. It was only a brief rest, but it was rest, nonetheless. A rush of adrenaline, the leaping choir member, the wind of Brendan Clark’s voice accompanied it. And there I was speechless in the midst of the chaos.

That is the only time that I have ever been on fire and hopefully my last. Fire is dangerous. Firemen heroically risk themselves to fight fire and there are others who manipulate fire in such a way that makes it exciting, like the people you see in the circus. But those who are recovering in hospitals or in burn units are hidden from view because fire is a dangerous element that in the right conditions spreads and consumes everything.

Luke, in the Acts of the Apostles, describes the Holy Spirit as this dangerous element. It is something that consumes the being of each of the disciples. It consumes their being in such a way that they are changed. On this Pentecost Sunday, we celebrate the baptism of two newly minted Christians: Jean Anatole and Wells. As we renew our baptismal covenant, remember the consuming promises that we make in accepting the responsibility of being disciples: continue in fellowship with one another in the breaking of the bread and in the prayers, resist evil, proclaim the Good News, love our neighbor as ourselves, respect the dignity of every human being.

These responsibilities are not confined to Sundays or major holidays, the responsibilities permeate by the Holy Spirit into everything that we do, they consume who we are just as fire consumes everything in its path.

A dove may be a fitting symbol of peace but it is not a good example of what it takes to be a Christian. And on this day that we celebrate the birth of the Church, we must remember the dangerous nature of that work, that ministry, we must remember that we are all in the trenches attempting to realize the many ways that God’s mission can and may be fulfilled. It is like a violent wind, a flame of fire, others will question our motives, and us (just as the disciples were questioned about drinking the new wine at 9:00am) but we are told to stand firm in order to realize God’s grace and love.

Take it from someone on whom fire has rested. God is bigger than any group or people or religion, or church or school or city or country. And just as fire can consume all things, can become big and dangerous, so too can God’s love spread and be in all people. God’s love is beyond limits. That is our mission, the mission of the Church that we celebrate on this day, St Patrick’s, and the Episcopal Church, and the church of all people, we are called to spread God’s love to the world. We do it together and we do it by ourselves, but we do it in thanksgiving of God’s Holy Spirit that fills each of our hearts with compassion for each other and the world. Let that compassion, that Holy Spirit, consume you and allow it to spread outward into the world.

That is what this Pentecost Sunday is all about, letting God’s love loose in the world. Take it on and send it forward

In this we pray…

The Rev. Dr. Kurt Gerhard (kurt@stpatrickschurchdc.org)
St. Patrick’s Church (www.stpatrickschurchdc.org)
Washington, DC
May 27, 2012 (Pentecost)

No comments:

Post a Comment