Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Beware, Keep Alert" - The Rev. Dr. Kurt Gerhard, November 27, 2010

Link to the Audio File 


“Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come.” Amen.

The Prophet Isaiah by Tiepolo, 1729
Today, we begin the season of Advent, the first season of the Church year. The Church marks the seasons in a way that helps us reflect on God’s involvement in our lives. This first season is an odd time:

1. It is a season of preparation for the birth of Christ. You can say that takes lots of time because we dig deep into storage to find the right decorations for the home. There is a certain type of music and lots of shopping. Advent is one of the top economic seasons of the year. I missed the opportunity to shop on Black Friday, but I bet some of you were there. Hopefully, you didn’t bring your pepper spray.

We wear certain things during the season in preparation for the celebration of Jesus’ birthday. Some wear certain shades of green and red, possibly with a snowflake or two. There are even special hats that a few especially spirited people wear. There is also food and drink that represent the season: cookies in the shape of Rudolph and covered with sprinkles and creamy eggnog with a shot or two of liquor.  With all of these outward trappings, it would seem that the Advent season is a time to warm our hearts with joy and love and, of course, gifts.

2. What I just described is what Advent has become, not what it is. Advent is supposed to be a time of personal and communal preparation. It is a time, like Lent, that we look into our hearts and reevaluate our motives. It is a time that we remember that we must be aware of Jesus’ second coming, when we will be faced with God’s judgment. It doesn’t mean that we must be perfect, because that will never happen, but that we are working to deepen our relationship with God. It is about celebrating, not in a way that creates individual warm fuzzies, but requires each of us to mature in our relationship with God, and, as a result, seek to serve the world, not because of what will be get as a result, but because it is our responsibility as members of a community of God’s creation.

A couple of weeks ago, I planned to take a day to clean off my desk. It never happened. My office seems to be a resting place for various projects. The stacks of papers have become unbearable for me. I hope that in this Advent there will be some time to get things in order. Of course, there are times in my life that would not have been the case.

When I was a child, I remember being told over and over again to clean my room.  I set things down wherever it seemed convenient and I would have to step over piles of things to move from one side of the room to another. Maybe you experienced something similar.

I would be left in my room with the direction to clean it up before doing anything else. As soon as my parents left, I would hurriedly push my clothes under my bed or into my closet. Or I would throw both dirty and clean clothes into the laundry. I would open drawers and jam papers and pencils and other nick knacks out of sight. I would fling my hats into a corner.  I would do anything to hurriedly clean up my room so that I would be free to do what I wanted to do. That behavior was an outward sign of the fear of being inconvenienced.

Times have changed. No one asks me to clean my room anymore. And yet, I do it anyway.  It actually bothers me when things aren’t easy to find and when there are stacks of junk. I dislike clutter. That is why the current state of my office is bothering me.

If anything, taking responsibility for our own area, our own actions, and behaviors, and even our moral judgment is a sign of our maturity. Maturity is the ability to keep promises when no one will know either way. Children struggle to attain maturity or more accurately swerve to avoid it. When I was a child, I waited until my parents had left the area before I disobeyed or reinterpreted their demands to bypass the inconvenience of being a member of a family.

The question we must ask is if we are swerving to avoid deepening our relationship with God, just because God is not holding us accountable. What I mean is, are we avoiding living into our responsibility as creations of God because God is not threatening our freedom? Are we avoiding the hard work of relationship, because we are unwilling to be inconvenienced by the responsibilities of that relationship?

That is what Isaiah was praying about in the lesson we heard today. This prophet Isaiah wrote nearly 500 years before Jesus’ birth. He witnessed the difficulty people had keeping God’s law because God was not visible to reinforce the expectations. But he proclaimed a memory of God’s marvelous and momentous acts, like those with Noah, Abraham, and Moses. Isaiah wanted God to make another earth shattering appearance so that people would fear God’s great power and might, and would, therefore, fulfill their responsibility to their family and community.

Isaiah dreamed that God would continue to function as the parent. But that isn’t the way it is. Isaiah’s prayer was answered in the birth of Jesus. There was no stupendous music or special pomp and circumstance. The earth didn’t shake. Only those who were most aware of their responsibility and relationship to God even knew that he was born.

And that is what Advent is about; it is about reorienting ourselves to be aware that God is born in our lives today, tomorrow, and every day. To be aware that God’s expectations are as palpable as they were for Isaiah. They are the responsibilities that tie us to community and force us to consider how best to serve others. Advent isn’t about feeling warm and comfortable, Advent is about being on edge in expectation of fulfilling God’s mission set before us.  Advent is about maturing in our relationship with God. It is about getting our house in order, our perspectives pointed in new directions, so that we can continue to grow toward God.

Maturity is still a goal, not a reality, no matter how old we are.  We make excuses about our behavior, we cut corners, and we have a tendency to look, with rose-colored glasses, into the mirror. We say to ourselves, “I’m doing enough. I’m doing more than that other person. Or, I’m doing all that I can because I’m busy.”

It is easy to think that we are doing enough because we fear being inconvenienced. When no one is looking, we throw things under the bed or into a drawer. That is what our culture teaches us about responsibility to God and our community. Do enough to feel good and be satisfied.

I challenge you to keep awake. Don’t get distracted by what’s the minimum, instead continue to grow in responsibility. Take on new things, not for you, but for God. “Keep Awake” as Jesus tells us because we don’t know when the end will come.

Advent is a time of preparation. We prepare for the celebration of Jesus’ birth. That is a joyful and anticipatory preparation. We also must prepare ourselves. That preparation is more daunting. What steps can we take that will make us more complete beings? These are tough questions that demand us to reach for the never complete maturity that marks our existence as human beings.

Prepare for the coming of God. Prepare and remember that God is ever mindful of our action. Reach a new maturity in the eyes of God and his Son Jesus Christ, who was an answer to a prayer once spoken, a call to keep our lives focused on God.

This Advent at St. Patrick’s set aside time to reflect. Mark time with an Advent wreath. Pray routinely. Listen to what God is calling you to do. Participate in the Advent Quiet Day or the Caregiver’s Support Group. Volunteer to help your neighbors. Bring in some extra food for St. Phillip’s Food Pantry. Meet with your priests or another member of the parish to discern how you might change yourself this Advent to become more mature in your faith. You will find that maturity in faith will feed your soul and the souls of the greater community now and forever.

“Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come.” Amen.

The Rev. Dr. Kurt Gerhard (kurt@stpatrickschurchdc.org)
St. Patrick’s Episcopal Church (www.stpatrickschurchdc.org)
November 27, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment